Functional Medicine and Functional Testing
The use of the word "functional" is key to understanding the integrative medical approach. Functional lab tests help determine how the body or organ is really working, as opposed to other medical tests which measure pathological breakdown and disease.
A sub-optimal functional test may indicate a need for correction even though traditional testing may show everything is within the normal range. This is a subtle but important difference as many sub-optimal health conditions will cause symptoms that get us to the doctor, but then no reason can be found for what is causing our health problem.
Functional, or Precision Medicine, involves testing for the root cause of medical and psychiatric disorders, and designing a treatment plan to address the root cause of the disorder.
In 2015, President Obama launched the Precision Medicine Initiative to, "...give us all access to the personalized information we need to keep ourselves and our families healthier."
Functional Medicine and Precision Medicine Looks for the Root Cause of Imbalance
Functional medicine searches for the underlying imbalance, or root cause, which can contribute to illness or chronic disease. If you have an imbalance, it can affect your body in many ways. Functional changes occur long before disease is manifested, so functional testing becomes an early warning test for disease which is ideal for prevention-oriented physicians and patients concerned about finding the root cause of their problem.
Functional medicine, now also known as Precision Medicine, relies on laboratory diagnostic testing to determine the unique nutritional, toxicological, metabolic, immune, allergic, hormonal, neurotransmitter, infectious and genetic status of each patient, which allows the physician to select appropriate therapies for the individual. Charles Gant, MD, PhD, uses many tests to determine how the body or organ is currently functioning, or working, as compared with normal, healthy functioning, and is an expert in the interpretation of these tests.
Special Lab Testing - Diagnostic Functional Testing
Our model of Functional Medicine involves special lab diagnostic testing, called Functional Testing. These lab tests are often covered by insurance and help to identify and correct imbalances in the brain and body chemistry. Imbalances such as these may be early symptoms of disease or barriers to good health.
Functional Medicine Lab Tests May Uncover Factors Which Contribute to Illness such as:
- Nutritional Deficiencies
- Hormonal Imbalances
- Detoxification and Biotransformational imbalances
- Immune imbalances
- Inflammatory imbalances
- Digestive,absorptive, and microbiological imbalances
- Structural imbalances
- Methylation issues
- Genetic mutations, MTHFR and COMT genes
Expert Interpretation of Lab Results
Charles Gant MD, PhD, has over 30 years experience in interpreting these complex tests. Based on his findings, he creates a plan for each patient to correct their imbalances and restore fundamental health. His motto is, "If you don't test, you've guessed."
Consider a Science-based Evaluation for the Following Conditions
- AD/HD, autism and childhood spectrum disorders
- Addiction to illicit drugs, prescribed drugs, alcohol or nicotine
- All chronic pain syndromes of any type
- Alzheimer’s disease, all dementias, any cause
- Anti-aging, preventative medicine
- Asthma, dermatitis and all allergic disorders
- Cancer prevention and co-management – all types
- Cardiovascular diseases, stroke, co-management of risk factors
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and related disorders
- Depression, anxiety and psychiatric disorders
- Detoxification from heavy metals, petrochemicals, and toxicities
- GERD, irritable bowel disease, GI disorders
- Hormonal imbalances, men or women, any phase of life
- Immune and autoimmune disorders
- Lyme, Candida, and bacterial, viral, fungal, parasitic co-infections
- Metabolic disorders, diabetes, dysglycemias, weight loss
- Parkinson’s disease, neurological disorders
- Stress management, psychotherapy, mindfulness
Treatment to Address the Underlying Causes
Finding and correcting the root molecular cause of your illness or imbalance can only improve your outcome.
We offer amino acid precursor therapies to help restore the imbalanced neurotransmitters that may have caused ADHD, or Addiction to alcohol or substances in the first place. Functional laboratory testing may determine what your specific nutritional and metabolic imbalances and toxicities are, so that your unique "body" or physical causes can be pinpointed and corrected. These amino acid and nutritional therapies can be delivered through nutritional supplements, intravenously and transdermally (through the skin).
Degenerative neurologic diseases such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Multiple Sclerosis, and early Dementia are often an expression of neurotoxicity. This can come from mercury, pesticides, mold, or other toxins. Clearing out the toxic load through a sound program of detoxification is always worthy of consideration.
"By paying attention to small problems, you can often prevent large problems." Charles Gant, MD, PhD