Dr. Charlene Kannankeril, N.D.
Naturopathic Physician, Holistic Medicine
Dr. Kannankeril works to find the cause of illness, and her individualized treatment plans are aimed at treating the root of the problem rather than just treating the presenting symptoms.
Areas of Focus:
Hormone Imbalances,Thyroid Conditions, Stress, Anxiety Disorders, Clinical Nutrition, Women's Health, Annual Exam, Chronic Fatigue, Gastrointestinal Problems and Autism Spectrum Disorders (DAN! Doctor)
Naturopathic Medicine is a natural approach to health and healing that recognizes the whole person. This form of medicine has been studied and practiced for hundreds of years and works with the following principles of healing:
- The goal of any health care should be prevention.Dr. Kannankeril teaches her patients tools for living a healthy life.
- First do no harm
- Dr. Kannankeril uses the least invasive treatments to minimize risks of harmful side effects.
- The physician as teacher
- Dr. Kannankeril works to create a healthy, sensitive relationship with her patients.She educates them about their health and encourages self-responsibility in their healing processes.
- Identify and treat the cause
- While modern medicine works to suppress symptoms, Dr.Kannankeril works to find and remove the underlying causes of illness.
- Treat the whole person
- Any imbalance in the body, mind or spirit affects the entire person. Dr. Kannankeril takes numerous factors into account when creating her personalized and comprehensive treatments.
- The healing power of nature
- Dr. Kannankeril's role is to remove obstacles to health by assisting the body's natural healing process.
Dr. Kannankeril is a licensed, board certified Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine. She is trained in natural medicine therapies including clinical nutrition, herbal medicine and nutritional supplements. While trained in the standard medical model and pharmaceutical drugs, she often works with her patients to wean them off unnecessary medications that can carry harmful side effects or prescribes compounded medications customized to meet her patients' health needs.
Dr. Kannankeril received her bachelor’s degree from George Washington University in Washington, DC. While pre-med, she became interested in natural forms of healing and went on to study homeopathy and Ayurvedic medicine near her family home in Kerala, India and then pursued a Master’s degree in Natural Health. She completed her naturopathic medical degree at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, Oregon, the oldest accredited naturopathic medical school in the country. Dr. Kannankeril also received certification in homeopathy and completed internships in Cardiopulmonary Medicine and Women’s Health.
Dr. Kannankeril was originally appointed by the former Mayor Anthony Williams as a member of the DC Board of Medicine's Advisory Committee on Naturopathic Medicine in 2006. She was reappointed to this position and made Chairperson of the Committee by Mayor Adrian Fenty in 2009 and regularly consults with the Board of Medicine. She is also a member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians and works within the community to bring natural medicine to the forefront.
Dr. Kannankeril’s areas of focus include:
- Hormone Imbalances
- Clinical Nutrition
- Women’s Health
- Gastrointestinal Problems
- Chronic Fatigue
- Thyroid conditions
- Stress, Anxiety Disorders
- Autism Spectrum Disorders